July 23, 2011

My Canon

In the world of literature "The Canon" is a slippery term, defined differently by everyone, that basically describes "works of literary merit" that everyone should read in their lifetime. The "classics", such as The Scarlet Letter, Hamlet, and Lord of the Flies, are generally accepted in The Canon while the "Canonical Snobs" (as I call them) would laugh at the idea of the addition of The Hunger Games or Twilight. See the difference? Popular books vs. classical literature.

There is a place for both in this world and I'll fight anyone who denies that. We need exciting and compelling page turners that (let's be honest) might be written poorly, AND we need slower moving novels, impregnated with rich symbolism and universal truths, that may be simple in plot but are written with beautiful language that makes us better people. We need both.

So anyway, back to The Canon. As I mentioned earlier, The Canon is mostly a matter of opinion and in turn is a huge topic of debate in the literary field. SO: Today I'm presenting you with My Canon. This is a list of books that (for lack of a less cheesy phrase) have changed my life. Books that, in my opinion, are well written, contain more than surface meaning, and are better the more times you read them.

My Canon
Harry Potter
1984
Where the Red Fern Grows
Flowers for Algernon
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Kite Runner
Star Girl
Ella Enchanted
The Hiding Place
Fahrenheit 451
Les Miserables


*Please keep in mind that i AM an English major and so some of these books aren't "page turners" but "thought provokers." Also keep in mind that I am a normal person and so some of these books aren't "thought provokers" but "page turners." If you would like a more specific review of one of these books, comment, or text me and I'll tell you which ones you would like. :)

1 comment:

Sierra @ Sierra's View said...

I agree with your list 110%. But maybe that's because I'm a book nerd as well. For both the "thought provokers" AND the "page turners."